Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bonnroo Friday!!

Yesterday after my bagel I packed up my backpack and headed for Centeroo. I had to wait in line for like 25 min to get my bag searched, and I was only able to catch the tail end of Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. I then went and caught about 45 min of Umphrey's McGee before heading to check out Damian Marley and Nas. Umphrey's had a good set from what I saw, but they were much better at night with lights. Damian Marley and Nas were pretty good, but the crowd was enormous and so I only hung around for about a song or so. I made it to She & Him about 20 min before they started and stayed for the whole set. They did a great show, and Zooey Deschanel was amazing!!! Her voice is as good in person as it is recorded, and M. Ward did a really good job also. When that was over I headed to check out The National. On the way I stopped by to hear a Tori Amos song, and she has an amazing voice! When I got to The National I spread out my blanket and listened to them for about 45 min before going to see Tenacious D. I walked through the crowd at What Stage for a little while listening, but it was soo packed I just headed for the back. I got to hear Wonderboy and Fuck Her Gently, but not Tribute. About halfway through Fuck Her Gently I left for Les Claypool. I only saw about 20 min, but the little I saw was amazing!! He had a really cool stage set-up, but I knew I wanted to catch Michael Franti so I didn't stick around too long. I got to Franti right as he was starting, but I was able to make my way up to about 20 yards back from the stage right next to the path from the sound board to stage. As always he put on a great show and did a great job of involving the crowd. He came and danced in the crowd a number of times, and walked around the crowd with singing quite a bit also. He walked within 5 feet of me like 15-20 times! I got to dance with him and get a high five from him and his bassist. At one point he brought the whole band out to play in the crowd!! Overall it was one of the more memorable shows I've ever been to. After Franti was Kings of Leon and the crowd was ENORMOUS!! I hung around for about an hour and 15 min before going to get a good spot for The Flaming Lips. I got to hear Closer, Milk, and Use Somebody, along with a few others I can't remember. I got to Which Stage at like 10:45 and it was already pretty full of people even though The Flaming Lips don't come on for over an hour. I went to the bathroom and grabbed a snack before finding a spot to wait. I got about 40-50 yards back and close to the center. I had a great view of the screens and the band. The Flaming Lips put on an amazing show, the first hour and a half was all originals such as She Don't Use Jelly, and Do You Realize to name a few. At one point Wayne Coyne got into a giant balloon and rolled around on top of the crowd! There was confetti and balloons and bubbles everywhere the entire show. When the war in The Middle East started he promised to play taps every night until the war was over, so he of course played that and used it to segway into Do You Realize. After playing that to end their set they took a 15 min break to let Stardeath and the White Dwarves set up before Dark Side of the Moon. They did an absolutely incredible job performing Pink Floyd's most famous album. During the song Money they threw out giant balloons to the crowd with money in them!! I didn't get my hand on one, but a couple bounced around for awhile before anyone popped it. By the time Eclipse was over it was 2:30, which is 30 min later than they were scheduled to play, but people still hung around for a good ten min asking for an encore. Wayne came onstage, but not for an encore, just to shoot confetti at the remaining audience. I missed Bassnectar's entire set, but it was definately worth it! I'll catch him again later this summer. After that mindblowing show I walked down to hear The Crystal Method play for a little while, then caught like ten min of Galactic. Galactic surprised me with their show, they had great lights and stage setup complete with multiple lasers. I was tired though so I didn't stay long. I went tocheck out LCD Soundsystem and got to hear them play Daft Punk is Playing at My House and left as soon as that song was over. I then went to the Brainquility tent for digital meditation on the way to my tent to crash. I woke up this morning and finished Beatrice and Virgil, and although it wasn't as good as Life of Pie, it was still a great book with a surprise ending. Now I'm just sitting in my car charging my phone and making hemp necklaces before I head to Norah Jones at 2:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment