Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nashville to Manchester!

Today a little before 6am I was awoken by the sound of rain. I stayed awake for a few minutes listening and making sure my trailer didn't leak. I had no problem falling back into a slumber, and when I reawoke it was almost 10:30. It was still sprinkling off and on so I sat in my tent and watched South Park on my computer and read my AAA Travel guide. By 11:45 it had stopped raining and I waited until 12:30 to begin breaking down camp. I decided to try and find a bookstore of some sort, so I found a Borders near Vanderbilt's campus. I spent over 3 hours there browsing and reading. I ended up purchasing Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig, On the Road by Jack Kerouac, and Beatrice and Virgil by Yann Martel, which I am currently reading. After leaving Borders I wanted to try White Castle since I had never had it before. What should have been a simple task turned into a long journey, much like the movie. The first one I got to was closed due to flood damage, so I found another one with my iPhone, but when I got to where it should be I couldn't find it. After looking for awhile I realized that there was some sort of shipping company or something named White Castle. The next one I found was 22 miles south so I got on I-24 and headed towards it. Once I got off the exit I drove past it twice before noticing it inside a gas station. I ordered 6 mini burgers, a fry, and a coke. It was everything I expected and more. We need one in Shreveport! Then I got back on I-24 towards Manchester. About 10 miles down the road I got pulled over AGAIN! This time I was pulled over for not having trailer lights. The officer was very polite and just gave me a warning and directions to Bonnaroo with instructions to fix my lights asap. I turned around and found an Auto Zone and got the harness extension that I needed and got back on the road. I got to Manchester around 9:45 and found a Wal-mart to park and spend the night at. The entire parking lot is full of people camping out. RV's, tents, canopy's, and even just tarps draped between cars are everywhere. I'm sitting in my car now listening to Neko Case and reading Beatrice and Virgil before I go get ice and a power inverter from Wal-mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment