Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dexfest Saturday!!

Saturday morning I woke up pretty early, around 9, and went to the pool for awhile. After relaxing a bit and taking a little nap from 12:30 to almost 2, I headed down to mainstage to see Greenhouse Lounge. They put on a really good show, and their drummer absolutely blew me away. I hope they are able to do a Shreveport show. After that was a group called Deep Fried 5. I found my friends and set my mat down next to them again and took a little nap during Deep Fried 5 and Charlie P. After Charlie P was a band called Agobi Project. They sounded very similar to STS9, but their guitarist was actually better. They put on a great show, and they had some great songs. I recommend listening to them. After that I went and grabbed a bite to eat before Papadosio came on. I had heard of Papadosio before, but never heard any of their music. They had probably one of the best sets of the whole weekend. They drew in a huge crowd, especially considering it was only 8 o'clock. Papadosio is another band I really recommend listening to. They're like a jamband mixed with electronic and dance. They are going to be at All Good and Camp Bisco, where I definitely plan on catching their set. After Papadosio was a rapper called Count Bass D. He was a pretty good rapper, and he was old, he said he was born in '77. Even though he was pretty good and had some good beats, the large crowd that was at Papadosio disappeared for the most part. After Count Bass D was DJ Kidsmeal. DJ Kidsmeal had performed with a couple of the bands the day before, and I was impressed with his turntable abilities. He brought the crowd back up to a pretty big size, and for good reason. He had a great DJ set, mixing dubstep, rap, jam, reggae, and everything in between. After DJ Kidsmeal was Conspirator. Conspirator consists of Marc Brownstein and Aron Magner of the Disco Biscuts, so I was surprised when I saw a third person on drums. It turned out to be Lane Shaw of Pnuma Trio. Marc Brownstein was absloutely amazing to watch. He jammed out on bass, and danced the whole time. At one point he said "When we were asked to do Dexfest, I was like'seriously?', but I got here about 10 hours ago, and this is one of the best festivals I've been to all summer. Don't ya'll wish The Disco Biscuts were playing? Maybe next year, but I'll be here for sure next year, even if I'm not playing!" and he was right, Dexfest was incredible. I spent a good amount of time watching the live art installations in front of the mainstage during Conspirator, and almost bought one, but didn't have enough cash on me. Conspirator played a good mix of music, starting out sounding alot like Disco Biscuts since there was a drummer, but for about the last 30 minutes it was just Marc and Aron playing. I was pretty tired after that, but I went to the Pavilion stage to check Arpetrio for a little bit. He had played some sick dubstep, and had a really cool visualizer. After watching a little of that I went to my tent, but couldn't fall asleep so I got to hear Bowie Van Ling's set on mainstage, and the beginning of MINDELIXIR. MINDELIXIR was really good, and I want to check out more of their music. I finally fell asleep sometime around 4:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment