Monday, June 14, 2010

Bonnaroo Sunday!!

Again this Sunday I took it pretty easy, especially after such a long night. I woke up around ten, but got in my car with the A/C on and slept for about another hour before waking up and going to meet Jordan for John Butler Trio. We were again able to get up right up to the front of What Stage because it was the heat of the day. We worked our way into the shade of the stage and were able to watch the whole set in relative cool. He had an another amazing performance, when he played "Ocean" it brought Jordan to tears. One guy in the crowd that I talked to had never heard of them before and he was absolutely blown away, calling it "one of the best performances all weekend, definitely top 3!". After that we headed to Which Stage for Regina Spektor. It was oppressively hot for Regina Spektor, but we both managed to stay for the whole show sitting in the back on my mat while I made a hemp necklace for Jordan. She then left to go back to her tent and pack so they could leave as soon as Dave Matthews was over, and I went to see John Butler Trio play at the Sonic Stage and wait in line for his autograph signing. The line had already started before he even began playing, and continued to grow the whole time. Once they started playing the crowd grew to the biggest of the weekend at the Sonic Stage. They only played a 30 minute set this time, but the smaller stage made for a much more intimate experience. I was surprised that whole band didn't have solos at his performance earlier in the day, but I came to find out that they were saving them for their short set. While the solos weren't as long as the ones at Wakarusa, they were still every bit as good. When they finished their set at 4:45 they made their way into the signing tent next door and the line slowly moved forward while Cross Canadian Ragweed began playing on the stage. I made it into the tent at 5:10 with only ten minutes left in the signing. I managed to get two CD's signed by the whole band, and my photo taken with John Butler! I missed John Fogerty's entire set to get the signatures, but it was well worth it! I went to charge my phone at the Fuse/Twix Take a Break lounge, and was able to hear some of the Dropkick Murphy's while I waited in the shade. Once my phone had charged for the allowed 30 minutes I headed to What Stage for Zac Brown Band. I sat way in the back on my mat and worked on the necklace and relaxed for awhile. I headed to Phoenix right before they started at 7:10 and got almost the same spot I had for The Flaming Lips, right in front of the popcorn stand to the right center of the stage. About an hour into the hour and a half set Jordan texted me, and she just so happened to be right behind the popcorn stand, so we met up and headed to see Dave Matthews. We put my mat down up on the hill about halfway back through the crowd, but we were far enough away that all we could really see was the massive screens on each side of the stage and the massive collection of screens onstage used just for this performance. He opened with "Don't Drink the Water" from Before These Crowded Streets and played a good selection of songs, including "Timebomb", "Shake Me Like a Monkey", and even bringing out his friend Danny Barnes to play "Spaceman" with him. He closed the set with "Two Step". He came out for his encore and did a solo cover of Neil Young's "The Needle and The Damage Done" then the Bassist Stefan had a solo before the whole band covered Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower". In all the encore lasted almost twenty minutes for just two songs. It was an incredible end to a great weekend at Bonnaroo! I went back to my tent to crash and Jordan and her friends left for the long drive to Baton Rouge.

No comments:

Post a Comment