Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Leaving Waka and Nashville

Monday morning I was woken up by someone going through the campsites with a megaphone telling everyone that a storm was on the way and should be there in about an hour, so I got up and began packing. I kinda just threw everything into the trailer in no real order so I could get out quickly. Just as I was about to be turning out of Mulberry Mountain I noticed two dudes trying to catch a ride to Louisville, so I offered them a ride to Nashville if they pitch in on gas money. Right when they got in it started raining, everything was just working out perfectly! They were really nice guys, they had caught a ride to Waka with a friend, but didn't want to leave on Saturday when their friend did. We talked for awhile, but they fell asleep pretty quickly. Once I was just on the other side of Memphis I got pulled over. The officer said the reason he pulled me over was that he couldn't tell where my temp tags were from. He even said my speed and driving were fine. He asked if he could search my car, and I told him that I had nothing to hide, so him and one other officer spent a good 30-40 minutes searching every nook and cranny of my car, but of course there was nothing for them to find. It was pretty annoying having to stand on the side of Interstate-40 barefoot in the hot sun while they took their time searching me. Once we got to Nashville I dropped my new friends off at a Starbucks at the intersection of I-40 and I-65. I then went onward to find a shower, and just 3 exits down there was a YMCA right off interstate. I stopped there for a shower and to try and find somewhere to stay the night. I found a KOA (Kampgrounds of America) right outside of Gaylord Opryland that looked nice, so I headed there. The flood had destroyed all their buildings including their bathrooms so two nights was only $50. I got my trailer set up and crashed pretty hard.
This morning (Tuesday) I woke up around 10 and started taking everything out of my trailer to get it organized. I spent about two hours getting everything put together and cooking my bacon before it spoiled. I then went to this shop called Scarlett Begonias that my awesome friend Mallory recommended and got some cool beads from South America there. I asked the guy who owned the store where some cool places to go around the area were, and he told me about a park right across the street that had a full scale replica of the Parthenon. I went to take a look at it, and it was huge!!! I then went to an outdoor store next door to look around and found a really cool KAVU hat that I bought. I asked if there was anywhere to go climbing around Nashville and he told me about an amazing climbing gym called Climb Nashville. I headed that way after stopping to get some ice for my cooler. I met two guys who go to Vol State while I was there and we climbed for about 3 hours until 5 when they had to leave. I sat down and got on my computer and worked on updating this blog. One of my new friends, Matt, came back after about an hour and we climbed a little while more before ordering a pizza. After the pizza we did one more wall before I realized that it was 8:30 and pretty much dark outside, so I decided to head back to camp. I've just been sitting in my trailer updating this, and now that its 10:30 I'm prob gonna put on an episode of South Park and go to sleep.
P.S. I'll do my best to post daily after this, but sometimes its hard to get cell service at the festivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment