Saturday, June 19, 2010

Dexfest Friday!!

Friday morning I woke up around 10:30 and got in my car and napped for about another hour before getting up. I walked around the festival for a little while talking to people and putting up promo for Camp Bisco and Underground Sound. I used one of my VIP meal tickets at a sandwich shop and ordered a fried peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich. The lady making it said that earlier the drummer for The Malah had ordered the same thing with bacon, so I decided to give it a try on half of my sandwich. It was interesting, not bad, but not something I would make again. After that I went and swam in the pool a little while and listened to whatever DJ was at the poolside stage. I headed down to mainstage around 4 o'clock and caught the end of Thunderbear's set. after that set was over I found some friends that I had met earlier in the day and set up my mat next to theirs for Sonmi Suite. After Sonmi Suite was a group called Gravity A from New Orleans, and the drummer was wearing a Saints Jersey. They played what I would describe as Electro-funk, and they sounded great. They did a cover of the Grateful Dead's Shakedown Street which was pretty cool. After Gravity A a group called Corleone came on. They played more of a dub sytle electronica. After them was a group called This is ART, which was good, but nothing overly impressive. Then came Telepath who did a great show. I was backstage again for most of this show too. I left Telepath early to go see Zoogma, but they were already they were late starting so I went to see EOTO once they started. After about 20 minutes of EOTO I headed back to see Zoogma, and they put on a pretty good show, even though they had a really small crowd. I got to meet the manager for the band Greenhouse Lounge and talked with him about doing a show in Shreveport, LA. He was all for the idea and gave me all his contact info so I can get in touch with him when I get back. After watching a little of Zoogma I headed back to EOTO stageside and it was pretty amazing getting to watch Jason Hann and Michael Travis throw it down from so close. EOTO's sets are 100% improvised live with Jason on the drums, and Michael on pretty much everything else. EOTO had probably the biggest crowd of the whole weekend. At one point during the show I saw someone getting carried out on a stretcher and someone else passed out on the ground. Rumors began circulating that someone OD'd, but I found out later that it was just heat exhaustion and dehydration. After EOTO was over at 3am I went back up to my tent and heard a little bit of Starkey's set before I crashed.

No comments:

Post a Comment