Sunday, June 5, 2011

Waka day 1

Yesterday I walked around for a bit in the morning and saw a bunch of people I knew. The first band I checked out was Minus the Bear which was surprisingly fun, then I went to check out Papadosio, which was sick as ever. I talked some new friends into coming to buckethead with me instead of going to Elliot Lipp. We both madethe right decision. Buckethead was AMAZING. He's like from another planet, and uses the bucket to hide his conehead. Haha. He played slap guitar and got real funky. 
After that I went to my campsite by way of Michael Franti and chilled there for a minute and listened with my friends from Nola Alex and Sarah. I took a decent little nap before waking up and realizing I was late for Umphrey's McGee. I rushed down the mountain and walked up on UM playing Shine On You Crazy Diamond. The show just got better from there, they did a 30 minute encore that included a cover of Baba O'Riley by The Who. Right after that was the Quixotic performance, which I hadn't ever hears of and wasn't sure what o expect. It was a full fledged performance art setup. They had awesome music, stage dancers, lasers, costumes, ariel acrobatics, fire dancers, and trapeeze artists. It was quite a show!
After that was Shpongle, and it was everything I imagined and more. The Shpongletron was massive and almost overwhelming. He opened with Divine Moments of Truth and the crowd went wild. After he was done he came back for one more because Ott hadn't shown up yet. For this encore he played I am You, another of my favorite songs. I stayed on that stage for Ott and most of Hallucinogen before making my way up the hill. I stopped by the Grassroots stage to check out Random Rab for a minute, and the Grassroots stage is set up SICK. Visual production everywhere. 

This morning I woke up and rode my bike to get water, which ended up being like a half mile away, and ever since I've been chilling at my spot waiting on the sun to go down and the festivities to start. Sharon Jones comes on in an hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment