Monday, June 13, 2011

Bonnaroo Sunday

Sunday I woke up and went into Centeroo to check out G. Love and Special Sauce for a bit and then found some shade to chill in before going back to camp to grab some stuff. On the way to camp I ran into my old Nateva friends Sam and Max and talked with them for a min. I wish I'd have gotten to hang out with them more, but oh well. I went back to Centeroo and checked out Daniel Lanois's Black Dub, and I was extremely impressed. I had only heard one Daniel Lanois song before, the one off the Friday Night Lighs soundtrack with Explosions in the Sky, so I didn't know what to expect, but I will definitely be downloading some of their music. I didn't realize that Brian Blade from Shreveport was his drummer, which was awesome to hear. He is Brady Blade's brother, and an awesome jazz drummer.
After that I went to Galactic. The lead singer of Living Colour, Corey Glover, sang with them for the entire set. They played a sick Total Destruction with a shout out to the gulf coast. They played Baker's Dozen with a crucial drum solo by Stanton Moore. He brought a drum to the front of stage and played it on the floor and made some amazing sounds from a tambourine. He also played a guitar with his drum stick. I really hope to get to see this video. Their encore was a Led Zeppelin cover of "How Many More Times", which I hadn't seen Galactic do before, I'd seen "Kashmir" and "Immigrant Song" before.
After that we headed to Gregg Allman, and walked up on "Sweet Melissa", which was incredible!!! They also did a Warren Haynes cover I can't place the name of. We stayed and grooved for a bit and left right after they finished "Whipping Post", which was all I needed to hear before going to Robert Plant and the Band of Joy.
Plant opened with a raucous "Black Dog" and kept the energy up from there. It was more of a country feel to the show than expected, but I liked that. I stayed for a while and danced and sang before heading over to That Tent for Explosions in the Sky.
I was able to get pretty close to EITS, but moved to the back to meet up with Hali and Michelle. They played "To West Texas" right after I met up with them. They played some stuff of The Rescue EP, which was nice to hear, and they played a song off their new album. I'm guessing the last song was "Trembling Hands". The crowd was much more into the show than when I saw them in Oxford, MS. Great show, and I'm glad I got to see it! I left before the end to go see the Superjam.
The Superjam featured Dr. John and Dan Auerbach along with other musicians. The Preservation Hall Jazz Band got onstage for a great rendition of the creole song "Iko Iko", and I danced my way all around the crowd during that song! I then had to leave to go get to work at 8:30.
I was supposed to work in Golf Cart Land again, but they said I was "needed" in VIP coordination. We just spent all night packing up chairs and all the other things the VIPs need to keep thier nice little asses comfortable. Where we were I did get to hear almost all of Panic, and I could see parts of the stage, but from like a half mile away.
Panic had a horn section, but I don't think it was PHJB, maybe someone else. The songs I was able to keep track of were: Fishwater, Tall Boy, an AMAZING as always Protein Drink>Sewing Machine followed by Shut up and Drive. There were lots of prayer lanterns released during the show, but not nearly as many as during their show at All Good. They played Red Hot Mama with Bruce Hornsby!! That was all I was able to catch, but their lights could be seen from all over the festival grounds. Very sick stage setup.
After I was done working I passed out before my head hit the pillow and woke up this morning to Kelci coming to tell me by, and then I packed all my stuff this morning and hit the road around 11. I've been posted up in McDonald's using their WiFi for the past couple of hours and I'm about to try and find the Krishna Farm to stay for a night before Phish tomorrow. If I can't find the farm soon I'm just gonna head to GA now.

No comments:

Post a Comment