Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Last night of Phish tour

I woke up around noon Sunday and hit the road immediately to head to Portsmouth. On the way I drove through the town of Wilson, which reminded me of the Phish shong by the same name.I got to Portsmouth around 530 and walked around the lot a bit, and bought a Jerry Roll, some beer, and a gooball before heading into the show around 630. The venue was tiny, less than 7,000 people, and the lawn was maybe 30 yards deep. There wasn't a bad seat in the house. I went down in the pit since it was all general admission and waited there for the show to start. I was bored since this was the earliest I had gotten a venue, and so I counted the lights they use. 98 projecter lights, and 12 strobe lights. While waiting Page's dad came on the side of the stage and gave a little dance an flashed the peace sign, which the crowd loved.
Phish came onstage at 7:50 and opened with "Harpua". During the song each band member's dad came onstage and said a line to the narrration since it was Father's Day. They played the part of Jimmy's father I have been wanting a "Harpua" for a long time, and even thought it is requested at almost every show, it is a fairly rare song now. After that was the song "Brother" during which each band member's children came onstage one by one and got into a tub on the stage. While all the kids were going off stage Mike teased the theme song to Leave It To Beaver before going into "Down With Disease" into "Back on the Train". "Funky Bitch" was after that, and of course Mike killed it. Then came a new song to me, "Timber" and "The Wedge". After that was "The Moma Dance" which I still didn't recognize even though they played it in GA. The next song was dedicated by Trey to Clarence Clemons who had passed away the day before. This song was a cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road" and it was a setlist debut for Phish. The whole crowd was cheering for a song after that and all the voices together sound like "tube", and I knew they would play "Tube" just to mess with the crowd. After "Tube" came "Alaska" into "David Bowie". The first set ended at 9:22.
After the first set I went back on the lawn to lay down until they came back on. They came back onstage exactly 20 minutes later and opened with "Crosseyed and Painless" into "Walls of the Cave". The second set they didn't stop playing at all, just one song leading into the next. After cave was "Slave to the Traffic Light" then "Fluffhead". I enjoyed this "Fluffhead more than the other one I heard, I feel that they jammed more here. That was followed by "Sand" and "Sneakin' Sally through the Alley". Somewhere around this time I saw a kid I had seen on lot trying to miracle a ticket, and I went to talk to him, and he had ended up getting his free ticket and getting into the show. That is one of the things I love most about Phish is how everyone wants to make sure everyone else is having the best possible time they can. After Sally came "Light" with all the normal bright lights and all. This flowed smoothly into "Backwards Down the Number Line" which is the song I have seen live more than any other. After that they stopped playing music for the first time of the set and went right into the chorus of "Suzy Greenberg" which is one of my favorites. They went offstage at 11:18.
When they came back on two minutes later Trey told a story of how his daugher beat him on Rock Band at the song Wilson and how proud she was of that. Then they went into a ten minute long "Julius" which was a great way to end this stretch of the tour.
I went back to my car and drove on past Hampton and the Mothership where I saw String Cheese Incident for Hulaween last year. I drove til I found a place to sleep and fell asleep hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment