Monday, June 20, 2011

A Great Night for Covers

We woke up around noon and broke down camp and hit the road quickly. We stopped at Bojangle's Chicken and Biscuits for lunch, which was good, but nowhere near as good as Popeyes. We got on lot and walked around a bit, but for the most part we hung around the car drinking beer and trying to stay in the shade.
The show started with "Cars Trucks Buses", an instrumental which Page wrote and I hadn't heard live before. After that came the Frank Zappa song "Peaches en Regalia", which I went crazy for. I have seen Zappa's son's tribute band twice and both times held up a "Peaches" sign but never heard it, but now I have finally heard it live!! Next was a song I called for the show, "AC/DC Bag" then "Guyute". Next was one of my favorites to hear live, "Possum". Next was a song that is new to me, "Halley's Comet", which I really enjoyed. That flowed into another song I guessed for the night, "46 Days", which I hadn't heard yet this tour. This was followed by "The Divided Sky". The wind blew high for this song, and Trey killed it! Next was a song that is a childhood favorite of mine, "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. I sang along to every single word in the song, and it brought back many memories of listening to this song while I was in middle school. The last song of the set had me running around all out of control. That's right you guessed it, "Run Like an Antelope". That marked the end of the first set, and we all moved inwards on the lawn towards the middle.
The second set opened with "Twist" which they jammed on, but not nearly as long as some of the "Twist" jams. Then came "Rift", which I enjoyed dancing to. After that came "Prince Caspian" which Evan had been saying all day he had a feeling they would play. They got super spacey during this song. Next was "Esther" which was another song I had never heard before and really liked. (of course I liked it, its Phish haha). The next song came out of nowhere, and no one in the crowd could have expected it. They did a cover of the Jane's Addiction song "Been Caught Stealing". The last time it was played wad at the end of 1998, which was 298 shows ago. I have a feeling the reason they pulled it out again is that Jane's Addiction is back together and touring, and I'll be seeing them at Gathering of the Vibes. After that surprise came "Piper" into "My Friend, My Friend". These two songs contained some crazy jamming and CK5 did some extra crazy things with the lights. That jam carried over into "Kill Devil Falls" another song I guessed for the night. The last three songs continued the jamming with "Split Open and Melt", "Golgi Apparatus", and "First Tube". "First Tube was a crazy super jammy way to end the second set, and left everyone wanting more!
The encore was a cover of the Led Zeppelin song "Good Times Bad Times" and was a great way to end the night. Overall this or the last show have definately been the best shows of the tour so far. They keep getting better and better and doing something new and different each time. It never gets old seeing them each night.
After the show we went back to lot, but lost Evan, and it took him almost an hour to make it back to the car. Then we drove around the city trying to meet up with someone, and it took us until 3 to finally meet up and drop Lauren and Evan off. Then I found a place to park my car and sleep for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment