Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Nateva Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday morning I was able to sleep until 11:30 because it didn't get hot enough to turn my tent into a greenhouse. I woke up and sat around camp charging my phone and taking the pictures from the previous day off my camera. Kelci met up with me at my campsite around this time, and after getting everything I would need for the day packed up, we headed for the Maine Stage area around 1 o'clock to grab a spot for Furthur. I set up my mat in front of the camera boom between the two stages, so I was about 10 yards back right between the two stages. The giant NATEVA letters on the the hill had been painted to resemble an American flag for Independence Day, which I thought was pretty cool! I got settled down towards the end of Mark Karan's Jemimah Puddleduck, and they were pretty good, kinda a melting pot of musical styles. After Mark Karan was Moonalice, and they surprised the hell out of me. They were incredible musicians, and they really knew how to work the crowd. I would definitely recommend seeing Moonalice if you ever get the chance, you won't be disappointed! All of their music is available for free on their website. After the show they came down and said hi to all the fans, and they were giving away two different free posters in the merch tent. I got both posters and went back to my mat for Max Creek. Max Creek was good, but the most impressive thing about them is that they've been playing for nearly four decades. I'd go see them again if it didn't conflict with another artist I wanted to see, but they didn't wow me nearly as much as Moonalice. Zappa Plays Zappa was next, and I lost my notes of what all he played, but I do remember that it was a great show, and the crowd loved it. I believe I remember hearing Peaches En Regalia, but I can't be too sure until I find a setlist online. I do remember him walking around stage shirtless and that it was a great show. After Zappa was George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic. It took about 30 minutes before George Clinton came on, and when he did, no one knew it. Everyone was asking "which one's George" He no longer has the colorful hair, and the all he did onstage was dance around and say "we want the funk" like ten times. At one point he had his granddaughter come out and start rapping about how much she likes dirty sex, and he was right next to her cheering her on. I heard that they had to have two security guards around the production food tent to prevent P-Funk's crew from coming and stealing all the food to bring to their buses. Overall I was very underwhelmed with the performance, but I guess George is just getting old, and all that crack he's smoked is getting to him. It's kind of disappointing, but oh well. Kelci left sometime during George Clinton to go back to her camp to get everything for the night, but I wasn't about to loose my spot for Furthur. After P-Funk was Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi Band, and while they were great, I was hoping for at least one Allman Brothers' song, but didn't get it. The slide guitar was incredible though, and Susan Tedeschi's voice was awe inspiring. Kelci made it back just before the set was over with Adam and Jen and Max and Sam. The sun was starting to set, and every minute the colors would change. It is the most gorgeous sunset I have ever seen. Furthur opened with "Celebration" which is the first time they have played it since travelling as Furthur, and what a celebration it was!!!! After that they went into "Samson and Delilah" then "Mississippi Half Step". I loved singing along to "Half Step", and then they went into "Cold Rain and Snow". Next was "Ramble on a Rose" followed by "When I Paint My Masterpiece". "Masterpiece" was incredible, and we put our arms around each other's shoulders and just swayed to the song. This was followed by "Cumberland Blues" and "Casey Jones". "Casey Jones" ended the first set, and we all set down, and I started drawing on my mat with a broken glowstick until someone brought out body crayons and I started drawing on Kelci's shoulder, and I drew some kind of spiraling sun. Then I started drawing on Sam's arm and did a really cool eye. After what seemed like forever Furthur came back on and we all got up! They opened the second set with "St. Stephen" which I was not expecting!! "Jack Straw" was next, followed by "Dear Mr. Fantasy". Then they started playing "Eyes of the World" and it brought tears to my eyes. I was turning to everyone and hugging them and saying how lucky we are to be here. "Eyes" was followed by "Days Between" and "Help on the Way" into "Slipknot!". This was followed by "Franklin's Tower" which is another of my favorites! The whole crowd was singing along and it was just a magical experience. Next was "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" which was anything but bad. Next was "And We Bid You Goodnight" when I heard this song start, I literally started bawling. Nothing else in the whole world mattered at that point, and I knew it was their last song, and I just couldn't help myself. Hearing Phil and Bob sing A Capella was just breathtaking. I was turning to people I didn't even know and giving them hugs, kissing my friends on the cheek, and just listening in complete awe. After they all went off stage Phil came back out to tell everyone that the reason he is alive today is because someone told a loved one "hey I want to be an organ donor" and he asked everyone in the crowd to tell a loved one that they too want to be an organ donor. I am proud to say that I have been an organ donor ever since the day I got my license. After his donor speech Bobby and the the rest came out and played a very appropriate tune for Independence Day. This tune was "US Blues" and there were well over 100 American Flags being waved in the crowd just like the song says "Wave that flag, wave it wide and high". As soon as they were done playing fireworks started, and went on for about 15 minutes. Also after they were done they put on the song "Fur Elise" by Beethoven and I couldn't help but grab everyone and dance along. We stayed in the same spot for a good 30 minutes after Furthur had gone off, we just didn't want to leave. After taking some group pics and helping to pick up trash we headed out. There was a rumor floating around that GPGDS was playing a surprise set at one of the vendors, so we went to see if its true or not. We went and heard Giant Panda playing, but couldn't find out where. Turns out they were just blasting a live GPGDS set from speakers so that people would think GPGDS was playing live, which was pretty mean and funny at the same time. Another booth had some DJ playing dubstep beats and I went and danced for a little bit while Kelci sat down. After that we walked around looking for a drum circle, but I heard The Dude's voice, and followed it to find The Big Lebowski playing on a big screen with bleachers in front. We stopped and watched for about 30 minutes before heading back to her campsite to drink some sangria. After finishing the box of wine and getting everyone's contact info we went to sleep as the sun was coming up. It was an AMAZING end to an AMAZING weekend. Without a doubt Sunday at Nateva was the highlight of my trip, and I am an absolute Furthur fan now, and I think everyone should have the opportunity to see them at least once.

1 comment:

  1. Great live recordings from top festivals, concerts and in-studio performances...Bonnaroo, Mountain Jam, Woodstock and many more...Allman Brothers, Phish, The Dead, Widespread Panic...24/7 Internet radio channel Radio Woodstock LIVE...available at http://www.radiowoodstock.com. Peace, love, music.

    ReplyDelete