Tuesday, July 5, 2011

a SuperBallin first day

Friday morning I woke up and walked around selling my necklaces for a while before going back to camp and taking a nice little nap before the shows of the evening. I got in touch with Talia and Dana, who I had met at Waka, and met them and their friends in the venue near the front to wait for the show. They had a spot on Page's side about 50 yards from the band, with an excellent view of everything that was going on. I snuck a flask in and shared with all the girls while we waited patiently for over an hour for the band to come on.
They came on around 8, and of course EVERYONE went wild. Mike had on some killer shades. They opened the weekend with "Possum" which is also the most played song of their tour so far. The next song was "Peaches en Regalia" which is a Frank Zappa cover. This song was also the second song of the night two shows before in Raleigh. After that was "The Moma Dance" which we had also gotten earlier on tour. That was followed by a Rolling Stones cover, "Torn and Frayed" off their album Exile on Main Street which they played in its entirety at their last festival. This went into "NICU", which is one of my favorites followed by "Bathtub Gin". Gin was great, and they jammed this for awhile before pausing for a second to talk and going into a cover of "Life on Mars?" by David Bowie. This was the first time it was played since 2/15/03, and it weirdly enough we had been talking about how cool it would be if they played it over the weekend, and we got it first set! After that was one of the highlights of the set for me, an amazing "My Friend, My Friend" which Trey killed on his guitar. "My Friend" is a darker Phish song that has become rare in recent years, and I was really glad to get to hear it again. That was followed by "Wolfman's Brother", which I feel like came out of nowhere, and didn't fit after "My Friend". But they still jammed this one extremely well, and in a way I hadn't heard before. Next was another cover, this time Ween's "Roses are Free", another favorite of mine. This went into "Funky Bitch" which Mike was amazing on. After Funky Bitch it was time for my shift at 9:15, and I left right as they went into another cover, this time a cover of Bob Dylan's "The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)". They really like playing this song to either end the night or end a set, and I knew when it came on that that was the last song of the set so I started fighting my way to the back of the crowd. I got to the WET check-in right as the set ended and got signed in and all. I was assigned to tollbooths, but traded with someone else and ended up sitting around the check-in for the entire set-break and for a while into the second set.
I listened to the beginning of the second set from a ways away, and they opened with a "Jam" that I racked my brain all night trying to figure out what it was, but it ended up being titled "SuperBall Jam". This flowed smoothly into a cover of the Talking Heads song "Crosseyed and Painless" which I would have liked to hear from closer up. After this they went straight into a tease of "Possum" and then into "Chalkdust Torture". Around this time one of the WET workers got the 5 of us that had been doing nothing and put us in a golf cart and drove us all around the stage so we could hear and see better. This was right as "Sand" came on, which is one I've been wanting to see for a while. This flowed into "The Wedge" which is the only song I missed when I was keeping track of the setlist, but I was in a golf cart haha. After that was another common song, "Mike's Song" which was followed by "Simple". I had been wanting "Simple" for a long time, and right as it was starting I got dropped off in the VIP camp so I could act like I was working while listening to the music. I was hoping they'd break "Simple" up and throw some random songs in between, like they have done in the past, but they played it all the way through, and it was epic! That went into "Bug" which we had also gotten in Georgia. Next was the short but beautiful song "The Horse" which flowed into "Silent in the Morning". This was followed by "Weekapaug Groove" which Mike again killed. After that came another one I had been hoping to see , the title track of the album "Joy". This song I walked away from my post so I could see the stage and lights better, and it was amazingly Joyful, and they definitely made the crowd happy like the song says. The last song of the night was a rousing "Character Zero" which ended the set on a high note. I started asking the group of people listening to the show around me what their calls were for the encore, and I guessed Simple Design and some other slower songs, I had a feeling they wanted us leaving feeling AHHHHHH instead of blowing our minds. The encore was "Show of Life" which was definitely a good encore for the last night and sent the crowd away feeling peaceful. Overall a great show with lots of covers, and not too much extended jamming.
After the show was over the golf cart came to get us and I ended up being one of the two to stay in that spot and wait for the last person to come check into their VIP tent. I figured it'd be easy work and I may get off early. I ended up sitting there all night dozing off here and there, but did absolutely nothing until almost ten in the morning when I started trying to find a WET golf cart for a ride back to my tent, but I just walked to the WET check in to clock out at 10:30 and head to meet friends

No comments:

Post a Comment