Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pre-Festival setup

I got to Watkins Glen Wednesday afternoon and got signed and all my credentials at the box office and then headed into the venue. I tried to follow the map they gave me, but the print was soooo small it was impossible to read and I somehow ended up driving right up to the stage before I realized I wasn't where I was supposed to be. I then somehow ended up on the racetrack and got turned around by security. I eventually found the volunteer camping, and it was located maybe 100 yards to the left of the stage. I got there and set up my camp within view of the stage, and I had woods on the other side to provide some morning shade. I went in the woods and cleared a patch between two trees that I could hang my hammock. After everything was set up I met my neighbors and invited them to use my shade, chairs and hammock whenever they wanted. We all sat around for awhile before going into the venue to check it out. When we got back we hung out for a while before everyone went to sleep.
Thursday afternoon we all did pretty much the same thing, and I took a nap before my 6:45 shift. When it came time for my shift, I went to the check-in tent and got assigned to tollbooths putting on wristbands. It had been freezing cold the night before, and I realized that I was just wearing shorts and a shirt, so I sprinted back to my campsite and grabbed a jacket. When I got back all the tollbooth volunteers had been taken to their post, so I was re-assigned to parking. I stood on the side of one of the entrances to the park with a traffic signal and just signaled people into the venue. It was pretty easy work, and there was a Sheriff there who I talked to for a long time about Phish and the show and what to expect. The local police force were all very supportive of Phish and the scene. After a while the sheriff left and I was left alone there directing the cars, but all the people in the cars were nice to talk to. My shift was scheduled to end at 8AM, but around 3 another sheriff came around and told me to stop letting people in the gate, that they were closing the gate. So I didn't have anything else to do and walked back to the WET tent, but there was no one there, so I went back to my campsite to sleep. I got there and one of my neighbors, Mark, was still up and we stayed up a while and talked until we started to see the sun and decided it was time to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment